The Chicago-area newspaper The Daily Herald recently reported on a local negligence lawsuit that was filed in the Cook County Circuit Court that Levin & Perconti thought was interesting. The story reports that an Illinois Elgin family has filed a lawsuit against NICOR, a local gas company. The Illinois homeowners state that their Elgin home exploded and burned to the ground earlier this month after a natural gas leak. The lawsuit, filed in Cook County Circuit Court, alleges that Nicor Gas employees committed negligence when they failed to ensure the Illinois occupants’ safety while they inspected and tested the house for a natural gas leak. The ranch home exploded and caused a fire that destroyed the home. The lawsuit seeks more than $50,000 in damages from the Illinois utility company.
The Chicago personal injury attorneys at Levin & Perconti file negligence lawsuits often on behalf of our clients who have been injured or who have loved ones who have been hurt. Negligence is a party’s failure to use reasonable care. In other words, it is the doing of something which a reasonably prudent person would not do. This lawsuit filed by the plaintiffs at the Cook County courthouse contends that the Nicor gas company committed negligence in not ensuring that the occupants were safe, something the plaintiffs contend that a reasonably prudent person would have done.
To read more about the gas company lawsuit, click here.