Published on:

Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer Shares Concern Over Window Blind Safety

There are few cases on which a Chicago personal injury lawyer will work that involves more emotion that than the death of a young child. Unfortunately, accidents that take the life of infants occur with starling frequency.

The New York Times reported last week on one common household product that claims the life of an average of one child every month: window blinds. More specifically, the cords on many window blind systems are dangerous choking hazards for infants. The article recounts the story of one mother who ran into her two-year-old’s bedroom only to find him hanging lifeless inches from the ground. The child had a blind window cord wrapped around his neck. He ultimately died from the asphyxiation.

Similar deaths have occurred for the last quarter century. However, the federal government is now taking a closer look at the safety hazard and is asking blind manufacturers to eliminate the risks posed by these cords. If manufacturers fail to take steps to eliminate risks, federal regulators at the Consumer Product Safety Commission may institute new mandatory regulations.

Consumer safety advocates have long complained that the manufacturers of these products have done little to address the problem. More specifically, there remains a very simple way to eliminate the problem completely: cordless blinds. However these blinds are more expensive to manufacture and sell. Besides that option, manufacturers also can create retractable cords or covered cords that are inaccessible to children. Each of those alternative options are cheaper to manufacture than entirely cordless blinds.

Our Chicago product liability attorneys at Levin & Perconti often work with victims who have suffered tremendous loss by poorly manufactured items. Historically, many manufacturers have refused to enact necessary safety changes until pressured by the legal system. Please contact one of our Illinois personal injury lawyers if you have been injured by a product that could have been better made to maximize safety.

See Our Related Blog Posts:

Product Recalls Hit Record Highs Last Year

Protect Your Household Against Salmonella Poisoning