Last week brought news of a new product recall as a series of fuel gels used to light candles has been pulled from shelves of a variety of stores across the country. The recall came just days after Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan had warned residents that the gel posed too high a risk of causing an Illinois burn injury. Our Chicago personal injury attorneys hope to get the word out about these potentially dangerous products.
After more reports of accidents began rolling in, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recalled the fuel gel sold by Napa Home & Garden Inc. The gels are poured into firepots and then used as candles-usually to keep away insects while outdoors in the summer. The CPSC ordered that the products be taken from shelves after receiving news of at least 37 accidents involving 23 burn injuries related to the product.
The CPSC also opened up an investigation into the matter. The product is new and only recently on shelves, and so it is important for the body to better understand the specific risks posed. The gels and firepots were previously found at a variety of stores including Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, Meijer, and others.
The Decatur Tribune explains that after spreading news about the recall the Attorney General explained, “Illinois consumers should immediately stop using fuel gels in light of today’s recall. […] Fuel gels have proven to be extremely dangerous, in particular because consumers have been largely unaware of the product’s burn risk.”
If you or someone you know has been burned by this or a similar product, please get in touch with an Illinois injury lawyer and share your story. It is important for many victims of this dangerous product to come forward and help raise awareness. Spreading stories about real victims of this product is one of the best ways to encourage families to understand the risks that this fuel poses.
See Our Related Blog Posts: