The St. Louis Tribune shared a heart-wrenching story this morning of the death of two young girls killed by a pest exterminator’s professional negligence.
According to the wrongful death lawsuit recently filed, the disaster for the family of six began when an employee of Bugman Pest and Lawn owner arrived at the family home for what was intended to be standard pest extermination. Unfortunately, the exterminator was reckless in his work. In an attempt to rid the family yard of mice, the man placed dangerous aluminum phosphide tablets into animal burrows outside the home. He also applied a pesticide known as Fumitoxin near the home.
The fumes from the phosphide seeped into the home from outside, and the Fumitoxin was applied at far too high a level and placed much too close to the house. As a result of the egregious mistakes in using the chemicals, the entire family soon became very ill. The two youngest family members were especially affected by the deadly toxins-two girls, one 4 the other 15 months. Within a mere three days of the extermination both girls would be dead.
Besides filing the personal injury lawsuit to hold the negligent company accountable for its deadly mistakes, the local prosecutor is also considering the criminal sanctions against the negligent worker and company. The use of too many toxins in a way that creates a likelihood of death is a crime, punishable by up to a year in prison and a $250,000 fine.
Our Chicago wrongful death lawyers at Levin & Perconti understand the tremendous losses, like the two here, that result at the hands of the negligent. It is especially important for all those who work in situations that pose obvious risks for those around them. If you or someone you know has similarly suffered at the hands of mistakes by others, be sure to contact an Illinois personal injury attorney to learn about your rights.
See Our Related Blog Posts: