A tragic fire occurred last night that reminded the attorneys at Levin & Perconti about a recent premises liability lawsuit we settled for $6 million. Last night, Electrical wiring is suspected in a Chicagoland fire that killed an eight-year old girl and her two brothers, ages three and one. The fire occurred in a housing complex in southwest suburban Chicago. The mother may have fallen asleep while a candle was burning and was injured and listed in good condition.
The fire began shortly before midnight in the ground-floor living room of a three-bedroom apartment. Firefighters arrived in less than six minutes, but could not rescue the children. The fire was too intense for the firefighters to enter the building.
Residents expressed anger with the Housing Authority of Cook County, which manages the complex. An electrical fire forced a woman living two units east of the fire from her home just a month prior. Residents state that the Housing Authority have not maintained the building properly.
The tragic death of three kids in a fire that may have been preventable reminds the attorneys at Levin & Perconti of a premises liability lawsuit stemming from the death of six children in a tragic apartment fire. Two other children sustained burns in that fire. The landlords of that building failed to have proper and working smoke detectors. Levin & Perconti obtained a $6 million settlement for the survivors of the fire.
For the full article.