For the second time in three days, paramedics and firefighters rushed to the Bloomer’s Chocolate factory near the Loop to put out a small fire. While the fire did not cause any injuries, officials were concerned that it might be related to a chemical reaction that led to the death of a worker on Sunday after he inhaled hazardous toxins. The fumes were emitted after an unknown chemical mixed with a vat of chocolate, creating a deadly combination. It is unknown whether the two incidents were related at this point. Two investigators from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) were inspecting the Blommer’s factory Monday to make sure no further injuries occurred. In addition, an investigator from the Chicago Department of Public Health was sent to the factory to insure that the chocolate was safe. So far, no wrongful death lawsuits have been fired and there has not been a personal injury suit related to either incident.
To view entire article, click here